Freedom

serv·ant  
/ˈsərvənt/

Noun
1. A person who preforms duties for others

In this world, helping others is scary.   The bible calls us to be "servants", but by doing this, we become vulnerable.  I've learned the hard way that people can often confuse compassion and service with weakness.  It stings that there have been times when I had to second guess showing kindness because I was afraid it would give others too much power over me.  I don't want to fear this- Our God sent his only son down to earth not to be served, but to serve others (Mark 10:44-45 ).  He redefines the word, "servant" by replacing its association with slaves and masters with beloved brothers and sisters.   He washed the feet of his disciples (pre-showers and pedicures, AH!) and committed his life to healing others.  When I remember this selflessness, I am so honored that he has given ME the tools to further his kingdom and reminded of how I can be more like him.  

I want to humble myself by placing others above my own selfish needs.  I want to purely serve others without desiring recognition for my actions.  Most of all, I want to be brave enough to serve people and not worry about whether or not they understand why I am doing it.  I want to be confident enough to continue to give even when I know someone doesn't necessarily deserve it by this world's standards.  I want to serve people- not because it's easy but because I will be utterly inconvenienced and uncomfortable for the sake of someone else.  I want to allow people to take advantage of me.  I want to continue to love on people, even when they believe they are getting away with using me.  Because as a follower of Christ, I know he is the only one who has the ability to use me.   

“Use your freedom to serve one another in love” (Galatians 5:13)    

^ Shout out to this sexy momma of mine.  You show me everyday what it looks like to have a servant's heart and I absolutely adore you.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment